WHAT ARE YAK MILK DOG CHEWS?
Yak Milk Dog Chews are derived from the milk of yaks raised in the Himalayan regions of Nepal, at an altitude of 10,000 fee and above. These 100% natural cheese snacks have been made and consumed by humans for centuries. It is only in the recent years that this traditional snack has gained popularity among dog owners all over the world as dog chews. Highly popular in USA, Britian, Canada and Japan, more dog owners and their pets are getting excited about this traditional snack from the Himalayan region of Nepal.
BENEFITS OF YAK MILK DOG CHEWS
1) 100% Natural Treat with No Preservatives – Produced naturally in the Himalayan regions of Nepal, yak milk chews have traditionally been served as local snacks for humans. Given its numerous benefits, yak milk dog chews have gained utmost popularity in USA, Europe and Japan, making it a hot favourite choice for dog chews.
2) Safe for Consumption – Made from 100% Yak/Cow milk, salt and lime juice, yak milk dog chews are safe for your pet. Unlike certain types of dog chews, yak milk dog chews are highly digestible and rarely pose a danger if a small piece is swallowed.
Yak milk dog chews do not contain gluten, artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Each piece of yak milk dog chew has been heated up to 72 degree Celsius for at least 15 seconds and every precaution has been taken to prevent contamination. This ensures that your pets are given only the best and the safest.
3) Dental & Health Benefits – Yak milk dog chews provide dental benefits by helping to remove plaque and tartar and to keep your pet’s gums strong. With approx 63% protein, yak milk dog chews contain essential amino acids along with a variety of vitamins and minerals for your dog’s general well-being.
4) Long Lasting – Yak milk dog chews are known to be long lasting, providing hours of chewing time for your dog. Chews that are not used finished can be stored for the next chewing session.
5) Sustainable – We work with rural farming families in Nepal. These long-time farmers have produced yak milk cheese for human consumption traditionally. By purchasing a yak milk dog chew, you are not only making your pet happy, you are also helping to sustain these farmers in their livelihood.
A QUICK COMPARISON WITH OTHER CHEWS
Bully sticks, deer antlers, rubber/plastic/nylon chews, rawhides, animal ears, skin, tendons, hooves and bones are all different types of chews available on the market. Each have their own pros and cons. Here are some of the judging criteria you can use when selecting a chew for your pet.
1) Forming sharp pieces– The dog chew should not break into small sharp pieces easily when chewed upon. Natural bones and hooves may splinter more easily than other chews, causing physical harm to your pet. Yak Milk Dog Chews do no break apart easily/
2) Bacterial growth – The chew must not be a breeding place for bacteria. Bully sticks and animals parts may be a good breeding ground for bacteria, especially when kept for long. Some pet owners leave Yak Milk Dog Chews with their pets for weeks with no issue. As long as the YMDC is not kept in the fridge or in an airlocked place (eg. ziplock bag), bacteria will not breed easily in YMDC.
3) Digestibility – Synthetic chews, bones and antlers are not easily digested by your dog. It’s therefore vital to remove the dog chew from your pet if it has become too small. Unlike these chews, Yak Milk Dog Chews have a high protein content and can be easily digested even if a small piece is swallowed.
4) Choking hazard – All small chews may pose a choking concern to your pet. However, Yak Milk Dog Chews are easily digested due to its high protein content. Furthurmore, YMDC can be microwaved to form a ‘crunchy puffed-up marshmallow’, which can be given to your pet as a treat!
5) Nutritional value – Many dog chews in the market have little to no nutritional value. On the other hand Yak Milk Dog Chews possess a good amount of proteins and other vitamins derived from Yak Milk. Due to its high nutritional value, we would recommend a max of 2 YMDC per week for your pet, on top of its usual diet.
6) Chemical contamination – Some dog chews, such as bully sticks and animal parts, would have usually gone through some form of chemical treatment. Unlike these, Yak Milk Dog Chews are naturally processed and do not contain any additives, preservatives, flavouring or other chemicals.
HOW IS YAK MILK DOG CHEW MADE?
Ingredients: Yak/Cow Milk, Salt and Lime Juice
Composition: 65% Protein, 5.8% Total Ash, 1.0% Fat, 17.2% Moisture (may vary slightly due to natural sources of milk and manufacturing process)
Manufacturing Process: Yak Milk Dog Chews are derived from the milk of yaks raised in the Himalayan regions of Nepal, at an altitude of 10,000 fee and above. The yaks are free to graze and are never given any hormones, antibiotics or other chemicals.
Locals in Nepal have been producing Yak Milk cheese for human consumption for centuries.
Once the milk is obtained from the yak and cows, the milk is then boiled and stirred continuously. With the addition of a very small amount of lime juice and salt, a thick layer of solid butter starts to form and is separated from the liquid portion. Virtually any lactose present in the mixture is removed together with the liquid portion, thus resulting in a Yak Milk Dog Chew has virtually zero lactose. Excess water is removed from the cheese using cotton cloth and bamboo sieves, and are then cut into smaller pieces. These pieces are then dried with low oven heat, then cleaned , cut and cleaned again, and then sun dried. After drying, the resulting chews are then thoroughly inspected before readying for shipping.
Yak Milk Dog Puffs go through an additional microwaving and cooling process, to create crunchy treats for your pet!
As the manufacturing process takes place mainly by hand, each Yak Milk Dog Chew may come in slightly different shapes, sizes and shades. Nonetheless, all Yak Milk Dog Chews are packed with proteins and will provide hours of chewing fun for your dog.